Wednesday, November 5, 2008

O-my-bama!

It has happened! I held Deacon in my arms as I listened to Barack Obama deliver his acceptance speech. What a wonderfully historical moment.

If Obama wasn't your man, I'm sorry. It was a good race. Don't worry, things aren't going to change overnight, but change will come.

Frankly, this night gives me hope. Obama's speech was inspiring and unifying (except where he opened with a welcome to invite a broad diversity of people into his tent - he even welcomed those who are gay. In doing so, Obama inherently excluded those who choose to exclude/deny these people's presence and rights in our country). I feel like science, reason, evidence, dignity, human rights, and social and ecological justice may be on the rise in this country and around the world. I feel like we may be on the cusp of a new America, of a new time in history.

I am probably overly optimistic. Perhaps Chris Rock hit the nail on the head when he said:

"Bush has f-ed up so bad, that he's made it hard for a white man to run for president. 'Gimme anything but another white man, please! Black man, white woman, giraffe, anything!' A white man's had that job for hundreds of years — and one guy f-ed it up for all of ya!"

Then agian, maybe not.

Obama isn't the answer. We are. If "change" is the order from this evenings events, then we are the ones who will need to fill it. Live smaller, simpler, and smarter. It's time to rebuild the trust we have in one another and the vision of a shared future.

Good night, and good luck.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

WELL SAID MATT WE SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS AND HOPE THAT CHANGE IS ON THE HORIZON. WHAT A GREAT ACCEPTANCE SPEECH BARACK GAVE AND I MUST SAY MAC WAS VERY GRACIOUS AND APPEARED QUITE SINCERE ALL CONSIDERED. AUNT DI,TOM & BRUCE APPLAUD DEACON'S CHOICE. GIVE HIM A BIG HUG FROM US. LOVE YOU ALL

Steph said...

HOORAY!!!!

Anonymous said...

AMEN TO THAT !

Amy said...

WHY IS EVERYONE USING CAPS!?!?!

i must add, i am also very excited to see what happens these next four years!

Anonymous said...

We are excited for 01/20/09 and the next four years thereafter too! I had a great time watching all of the blue states pop up on the map:)

Matt H said...

CAPS ARE FOR EXCITEMENT!!! NC IS BLUE!!! Deacon's cuteness got out the vote!

Steph said...

new pics, please! pretty please!! :)

Anonymous said...

Hadn't looked at pictures for a while. I knew Weezie would ask me this weekend if I had looked recently, so I thought I'd browsw a minute this morning. Deacon is just getting so big and way to cute. But the bigger picture to enjoy is our new president. Yahoo !!! His picture hangs at my kitchen sink window reminding me of the change that we ALL will bring about. Love Natalie